Nutrition & Diet Therapy Diploma with diabetic footcare
Be job ready and work as a Nutrition Counsellor, Nutritionist, Holistic Nutritionist, Health and Wellness Coach, or Diet and Nutrition Therapist.
This Nutrition and Diet Therapy Diploma DE online is the only Canadian-ministry approved online Nutrition and Diet Therapy Diploma program that is offered all online. It is open to any potential students who are interested in learning more about nutrition and diet. This recognized, online nutrition course qualifies for second career funding for students Canada wide, so if you are unemployed, please contact your employment counsellor for more information on how you can be funded for free in taking this course.
This course addresses the whole person’s nutritional status and needs across the lifespan of the individual. It integrates a holistic approach. Holistic means seeing the person as a whole person and addressing the needs of the individual and not just 1 part. This accredited, online Nutrition and Diet Therapy program allows students the opportunity to gain extensive knowledge in health, nutrition, and diet therapy.
Students will gain an understanding of the interconnectedness between nutrition, health, wellness, and lifestyle in regards to health.
These online course modules integrate body systems in Anatomy and Physiology of the human body, common diseases, and conditions that are impacted by diet and nutrition.
Students will learn how health-related conditions and diseases can be improved using nutrition. Such conditions include: cardiovascular disease, diabetes, obesity, stress, anxiety, fatigue, and digestive problems. Nutrition can largely determine how we look and feel, and can also determine whether we will age prematurely or enjoy our lives to the fullest. By studying nutrition you will be able to promote healthy eating to your clients and enhance overall wellness.
Prerequisites Required: Grade 12 education or equivalent, a good working knowledge of the English language and English comprehension, access and ability to use own computer, First Aid CPR, up-to-date Criminal Reference Check, Hepatitis B Vaccination, TB skin Test.
Complete Course Duration: 40 Weeks
Course Content Includes:
- Module 1. Introduction to Food Nutrition, Health Promotion, and Diet Therapy
- Module 2. Carbohydrates
- Module 3. Lipids and Fat
- Module 4. Protein, sources of protein, protein essentials in building tissue repair and healing
- Module 5. Digestion System and the process of digestion and Metabolism
- Module 6. Energy and Balance
- Module 7. Vitamins Therapy, and vitamins necessary to metabolic process
- Module 8. Minerals
- Module 9. Fluids and Electrolytes and water balance
- Module 10. Nutrition during Pregnancy and Lactation
- Module 11. Nutrition during Infancy and Childhood
- Module 12. Nutrition in adolescence
- Module 13. Nutrition in Adulthood
- Module 14. Community Nutrition, Food habits, and cultural pattern
- Module 15. Weight Management, Nutrition, and Physical Fitness
- Module 16. Food borne Illness
- Module 17. Nutrition Care, Therapeutic Planning Process, Phases of the Care Process
- Module 18. Physical Fitness and Exercise
- Module 19. Gastrointestinal Systems, accessory organs, disorders of the GI tract, and using food group that promotes
- Module 20. Cardiovascular system and diseases of the cardiovascular systems including high blood pressure and heart disease
- Module 21. Endocrine system and diseases of the endocrine system, Diabetes Mellitus, nutrition therapy for the diabetic client
- Module 23. Kidney Disease and function of the urinary system , dietary consideration
- Module 24. Nutrition Support in cancer and Aids patients
- Module 25. Effective communication skills and health promotions
- Module 26. Completion of 10 case studies using the nutrition assessment and treatment plan
Upon completion and passing the online nutrition and diet therapy program, the student will be awarded the Nutrition and Diet Therapy Diploma.
Students will also receive a 1-year membership with the National Association of Holistic Health Practitioners--NAHHP and will be able to use the protected designation of LHHP--License Holistic Health Practitioners.
Course is Tax Deductible
This course qualifies for second career funding by the government.
This course is recognized as a vocational course by the Ministry of Advanced Education and Training Private Career College Act 2005go.
Flexible Start Date Available
Please Contact us at (905) 452-8139 or submit form below and we will follow up with you.
Basic & Advanced Diabetic Foot Care Specialist Certificate
The Basic and Advanced Diabetic Foot Care Specialist Certificate is aimed at any medical or non-medical personnel who would like to add Basic and Advanced Diabetic Foot Care to their practice settings.
Over 11 million Canadians suffers from diabetes and many diabetic suffer from foot complications related to nerve damage related to their diabetes, including, below the knee amputations which can affect quality of life and can be prevented with client awareness, knowledge, practicing proper foot care, and receiving early intervention from a trained diabetic foot care specialist.
Topics Covered Include:
What is Diabetes, Overview of Diabetes as a Diagnosis, Main Types of Diabetes
- Clinical Practice Guidelines 2018 Diabetes Canada on the Diabetic Foot
- What is Diabetic Foot Care
- Complications of Diabetes
- Look at Factors that Contribute to Foot Problems in Geriatric and the Diabetic Clients
- Diabetes Management/Self-Care Management
- Anatomy and Physiology of the Foot, Structural Deformities
- Common Condition of the Joints and Nails
- Diabetic Foot Health Education Checklist
- Diabetes High Risk Assessment, Mono Filament Testing, Circulation, Sensation, Color of Nail, Nail and Foot Deformities
- Skin Conditions and Common Nail Disorders of Client's including: Corns Seeded, Hard, and Soft, Warts, Hallux Valgus, Rams Horn, Ingrown Toe Nail, Nail Fungal, and Callus'
- Best Practices for Cleaning, Disinfection and Sterilization for Tools
- Health Canada Foot Care Infection Control Standards
- How to Setup Tools, Use Assessment Forms, Perform Foot Assessment using the Mono Filament Testing to Check for Neuropathy in Diabetics
- How to Use Tools and Equipment Safely including: Nail Scissors, In-Grown Scissors, Black File, Dremel, Debris Evacuator, Chemo Sterilizer, Disinfectant, Plastic Apron, Goggles, N95 Mask, Face Shield, Gloves, Carrying Case, Etc.
- Best Practices in Reducing Risks of Cross Contamination When Performing Diabetic Foot Care
- Sterilization Methods in Use: Example Use of Autoclave
- Performing a Foot Care Treatment Using Single-Use Disposable Tools in Filing, Cutting Nails Using Nail Nippers, In-Grown Scissors, Using the Black File to Clean Detritus
- Theory and Practice on the Safe Use of Disposable Foot File and Use of Rotary Disc
- Using Urea Base Product to Decrease Callus Formation
- Health Teaching on Using Proper Foot Wear
- When to Refer to a Primary Healthcare Provider
Pre-Requisites: Hepatitis B vaccine, TB skin test, Criminal reference check, and First Aide CPR and Malpractice insurance and liability coverage.
For students who do not have malpractice insurance coverage, this insurance can be purchase from Holman Insurance at holisticinsurance.ca.
Students will be expected to attend the onsite lab after completing the diabetes theory and purchasing the foot care kit. At the onsite lab, they will be expected to bring in all of the tools from foot care kit.
After in-class lab: Students will be expected to complete 20 hands on case studies that they will find on their own from their communities.
Each hands-on case study will take approximately 2 hours to complete.
Students will be expected to submit proof of completing 20 case studies with completed assessment forms with before and after pictures and write up using assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation process.
Course Duration: 200 Hours
Pre-reading assignments on selective reading materials on diabetes and foot care: 90 Hours
Onsite In-Class Theory 3 Days: 20 Hours
Practice Lab Onsite with Instructor: 8 Hours
Completion of 20 Hands-on Case Studies on Your Own: 60 Hours
Write up of Case Studies: 20 Hours
Competency Exam with Feedback: 2 Hours
Upon completion of this course, student will receive the Basic and Advanced Diabetic Foot care Specialist Certificate and will receive a 1-year membership under the Foot care specialist modality category with the National Association or Holistic Health Practitioners.
To Contact us: Please call (905) 452-8139 or fill out form below and submit form below.